Sunday, November 16, 2008

Australia v New Zealand Test series

Shane Watson has backed Andrew Symonds to make his Test return on Thursday against New Zealand despite the fact that such a move could squeeze Watson out of the side. The two allrounders are in Australia's 13-man squad and although there is the possibility rect swap of Symonds for Watson would be a more likely scenario.

Watson was given his opportunity at No. 6 in India because Symonds was working through his rehabilitation process and was unavailable for selection. It was a reversal of the situation in the 2006-07 Ashes, when Symonds was only handed his chance because Watson, who had originally been selected, struggled with persistent hamstring injuries.

Symonds made the most of his Test status and since that Ashes campaign he has averaged 72.07 has also chipped in for 14 wickets. Watson said Symonds had earned the right to be part of Australia's starting line-up.

"If Roy gets a spot, he bloody deserves it, he's been a great player for a number of years," Watson told the Sunday Telegraph. "I wouldn't feel hard done by, no way. I'm realistic of where I'm at. I'm still only 27, so I know I've got a lot of really good cricket in front of me.

"Roy definitely deserves an opportunity whenever he's ready to go. He's performed so well in some tough times for Australia and you can't take that away from him."